The Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Gloss, DOI, Haze and RSPEC Meter has all the features of a standard Rhopoint IQ but with the ability to measure small and curved surfaces. Optional adaptors allows the measurement spot diameter size to be reduced to 4mm or 2mm and custom 3D printed adaptors are available for curved surfaces.
- Designed for the measurement of small and curved surfaces
- DOI / RIQ Meter, ( quantifies orange peel )
- Hazemeter ( reflectance haze )
- Measures RSPEC
- 20° glossmeter for high gloss finishes
In a single fast measurement, the Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 captures information about the gloss and texture of a sample surface.
Combined gloss, haze and orange peel (DOI/RIQ values) information have made the IQ essential for controlling appearance finish in the paints and coatings sector, particularly for high tech., automotive and aerospace coatings.
Designed for curved surfaces
Conventional gloss instruments are best suited to large flat areas and test panels, as curved surfaces cause measurement errors. The small footprint of the Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 makes it much more effective on curved surfaces than a conventional glossmeter; its compact size and shape also allows access to difficult to reach areas
Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Operation:
- Full-color display
- Auto-rotating measurement screen
- Adjustable brightness
- Quick efficient 6 button interface
Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Measurement:
- Single button push to measure all parameters
- Fast measurement
- Results can be instantly transmitted to any PC package such as Excel, Word, SPC programs etc.
Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Statistical:
- Max, min, mean, SD
- All measured parameters
Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Graphical:
- Trend analysis of all measured values
- Gloss, haze, RSPEC and DOI values
Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Construction:
- All aluminum construction enclosure, optics module
- Compact measuring head enables curved surfaces and small areas to be measured easily
- Interchangeable magnetic adaptors allow reduced measurement spot sizes down to 4mm or 2mm
- Custom made 3D printed adapter jigs available for repeatable sample positioning
- Optional rubber felt or plastic adaptors can be specified for delicate surfaces
- Results batching with user definable names
- Bluetooth Compatibility – transmit data to any Windows smartphone, tablet or PC
- USB results download to PC without the need to install software
The Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 quantifies surface quality problems that are invisible to a standard glossmeter
The Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 goes beyond gloss measurement by differentiating between two samples with EQUAL GLOSS VALUES. This is achieved by measuring the image quality (is it like a mirror), it is the only hand held instrument that profiles how light is reflected from a surface, thus presenting you with the easily understood information to show you the better sample being measured.
Standard glossmeters only measure how much light is reflected and are not sensitive to effects which dramatically reduce appearance quality. The Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 DOI "Distinctness of Image" Quality Meter easily accomplishes the measurement of appearance. Information is displayed with one value, not multiple confusing values, but immediately and easily seen.
The Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Measures
- 20° Gloss
- Distinctness of Image - DOI
What is DOI ?
DOI, Distinctness of Image, is a measurement indicating the QUALITY OF THE GLOSS. How clearly can a reflected image appear?
Symptoms of poor DOI: Orange peel, brush marks, waviness or other structures visible on the surface. Poor finishing. Reflected images are distorted.
Causes: Application problems, incorrect coating flow, coating viscosity too high/low, sag or flow of coating before curing, incorrect particle size/distribution, overspray, improper flash/recoat time, inter coat compatibility, incorrect cure times and cure temperature.
What is RSPEC ?
RSPEC is the peak gloss value over a very narrow-angle.
RSPEC is very sensitive to small changes in texture and is used to identify subtle differences in surface smoothness.
What is RIQ ?
RIQ is a superior measurement to DOI with expanded capabilities.RIQ quantifies ORANGE PEEL qualitatively as well as measuring surface waviness. RIQ is a HIGH-RESOLUTION DOI measurement and correlates better with human vision and perception.
Orange Peel, brush marks, waviness, cause reflected images to be distorted.
Problems that can be detected using the Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 include:
- Incorrect Coating Flow
- Coating Viscosity
- Sag or Coating Flow before Curing
- Particle Size Distribution
- Paint Overspray
- Improper Flash, Recoat Time
- Inter Coat Compatability
- Incorrect Cure Time
- Cure Temperature
Reflectance Haze with the Rhopoint IQ Flex 20
Reflectance Haze is an optical effect caused by microscopic texture or residue on a surface. A milky finish is apparent on the surface causing a loss of reflected contrast, halos and patterns can be seen around reflections of high-intensity light sources.
Causes: Poor dispersion, raw material incompatibility, additive migration, vehicle quality, stoving/drying/curing conditions, polishing marks, fine scratches, aging, oxidization, poor cleanliness/surface residue.
A measurement proportional to the amount of light reflected from a surface.
Geometry: For best results, the correct measurement geometry should be chosen based on the reflectance of the material. 20° is the ideal angle to measure high gloss surfaces such as automotive finishes.
Included with the Rhopoint IQ Flex 20
- Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Goniophotometer
- Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 cable and measuring head
- BAM traceable high gloss calibration tile including certificate
- Cleaning cloth for calibration tile
- BAM traceable instrument certificate
- USB AC Adapter with four selectable mains input connectors (US-Canada / Europe / UK / Australia)
- USB PC cable
- Quick Start Operating Instructions
- Protective instrument carry case
- Measurement Adapter - 4mm diameter spot size: Part no. GM-14810 Price $699.
- Measurement Adapter - 2mm diameter spot size:: Part no. GM-14820 Price $699.
- Measurement Adapter for Curved Parts: Part no. GM-14830 Price $699.
- Measurement Adapter – Special 3D Printed Adapter, may have a surcharge for creating a drawing: Part no. GM-14840 Price $699.
- Special Alternative Material Measurement Adapter – Special Plastic, Felt, Rubber Adapter: Part no. GM-14850 Price $799.
Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 Specifications
Resolution 0.1 GU • Repeatability 0.2 GU • Reproducibility 0.5GU
20º: 0 – 2000 GU 60°: 0 – 1000 GU
Peak Specular Reflectance @ 20° +/- 0.09905° Measurement range: 20°: 0-2000GU
Near Specular Reflectance measured at 17-19°, 21-23° Resolution 0.1 HU • Repeatability 0.2 HU • Reproducibility 1.5 HU
Resolution 0.1 • Repeatability 0.2 • Reproducibility 0.5 Measurement Range: 0-100
Resolution 0.1 • Repeatability 0.2 • Reproducibility 0.5 Measurement Range: 0-100
20° - 6mm x 6.4mm, optional 4mm or 2mm diameter
AC adapter rechargeable in 4 hours
17 hrs+ continuous operation or 20,000+ readings
On board memory for 999+ readings with full goniphotometric profiles
15 - 40 ° C (60 - 104 ° F)
Up to 85%, non-condensing
65 (w) x 140 (h) x 50 (d) mm
- DIN EN ISO 2813 Determination of specular gloss of non-metallic paint films at 20 degrees, 60 degrees and 85 degrees
- ASTM D523 Standard Test Method for Specular Gloss
- ASTM D2457 Standard Test Method for Specular Gloss of Plastic Films and Solid Plastics
- DIN 67530 Reflectometers a means for gloss assssment of plane surfaces of paint coatings and plastics
- JIS Z 8741 Specular glossiness - Method of measurement
- ISO 7668 Anodized aluminium and aluminium alloys - Measurement of specular reflectance and specular gloss at angles of 20 degrees, 45 degrees, 60 degrees or 85 degrees
- ASTM E430 Standard Test Methods for Measurement of Gloss of High-Gloss Surfaces by Abridged Goniophotometry
- ASTM D5767Standard Test Methods for Instrumental Measurement of Distinctness-of-Image Gloss of Coating Surfaces
Gloss meters are widely used to measure the reflective qualities of products. However this information tells us only how much light is reflected, but nothing about the quality of a surface.
Effects such orange peel, haze and polishing marks distort reflections in a surface, which reduce visual appearance but cannot be measured with traditional glossmeter. In short, two surfaces which have very different reflective properties could have exactly the same gloss value.
The Rhopoint IQ allows the user to measure DOI, Haze and RSPEC values and hence control the surface textures that reduce the perceived surface quality of the product.
||Paints and Coatings
||Polished Stone and Concrete
||Smart Phone, Tablet PC and Laptop Covers